Make it large! How large is your large?

We are passionate people. Oh yeah!
We are driven by passion to achieve something and give purpose to our life. We want to make our life large. This blog should give you a perspective no how large is your large. Even better it can inspire you to choose a larger life goal for yourself. Once you are clear what you want to achieve, all that remains is to figure out how to achieve that :)

Before we start, think about what is your life goal - something that you feel will give purpose to your life. Take a minute here....
.. Now that you know, ask a question 'so what'. For e.g. if your life goal is to become a billionaire, do ask "After I become a millionaire, so what?". This will prepare you for the remaining blog. Please do not start with "this is what I can do best, so I will do this", as this will give you a biased life goal. Instead first see where you want to reach and then will figure out how best can you do it.

To get a perspective on how large is your large, let us first get a perspective of the world. I will start with the two dimensions (viz. distance & time) as they are very simple to explain. There could be other dimensions as well to get similar perspective. Let us start with distance first.

Another exercise for you - travel through the distance in your mind. For me, I would start from my room, then my neighborhood, city, state, country, earth, solar system, galaxy, many galaxies and so on. I can't imagine the end point. It is not like there will be a wall waiting for me at the end of the universe. It doesn't imply that distance is infinite, but it definitely is way huge for me to comprehend - simply because my world is limited to like a tiny tiny dot on the distance scale.

Distance & Time - we just don't know limits of these dimensions


Moving to the other dimension - time. With all scientific methods such as carbon dating we know the world from a few million years, but we still don't know how long have things been around and for how long will they be. Can you imagine a year xxxx, that will be the last mark on time scale? For all we know, my existence is again limited to a very tiny tiny dot on this scale.
Timeline of the world that we know
Now let us zoom in.

In the graph, we are zooming in on the coordinates for (20th century, earth). There are 6 billion people, trying to fight daily for some or the other battle and to fulfill their goals. These goals may be so small that their impact may not even last for more than a few centuries and it may be restricted on earth. It may be comical to use impact of goal as the heuristic to measure the goal :) Nevertheless will write about this more in next blog.
Civilizations will come and go and all people build in a civilization may or may not pass on to the subsequent one. So if your goal is a narrow one, then ultimately you will spend your lifetime fighting for nothing. Going back to the goal that you thought of when you started reading this blog, how large is it?

I am not trying to infer "No matter what you do, it doesn't matter". I am trying to push on to think big and then do big. You should not define your life as center/origin of the universe. If you do so you will feel that your life is huge no matter whatever you are doing. In that case, get a perspective! For others being happy in life could be a yardstick of successful life, but then I personally would want to have a purpose as well. Living a happy life with no purpose is not my idea of life.

What can be the right purpose that is large? Everyone has his/her own and I will write a blog on this. For me, it would be to try to figure out the fundamental truths of this universe which are yet not known. Things like what universe means, what is the role of humans on earth are part of my conquest. I feel that there are basic fundamentals that we don't know yet. What's yours?

I also wrote about what is my large (bottom up approach) a few months back, in case you would be interested. Let me know in the comments about your life goals and if this blog resonated with you.

Comments